The Democratic Convention is upon us, beginning what will be two weeks of nonstop political coverage aiming to help us differentiate the Democrats from the Republicans. Sure there are the countless policy differences like health care, taxation, womens issues and the like, but the real difference? Democrats are pickier eaters.
Apparently the DNC had such a long list of “guidelines,” that caterer’s feared not getting hired due to deviating from the proposed suggestions. Among these suggestions:
- Half a meal made up of fruits and/or veggies
- At least three of the following five colors on a plate – red, green, yellow, blue/purple and white (garnishes don’t count)
- No fried foods
- At least 70 percent of ingredients (based on precooked weight) certified organic and/or grown or raised in Colorado
- Use of reusable serviceware
- No bottled water, use pitchers instead
- Encourage staff to use alternative modes of transportation.
Ok, I get it, they’re trying to be healthy and not to harm the environment, but a color scheme? Dictating what kind of vehicle the food arrives in? That seems a bit ridiculous. Where are they going to find purple food in Colorado? And I just love the “garnishes don’t count,” way to catch the cheaters before they even try! I’m all for health and am a huge fan of fruits, vegetables and the environment, but as a former waitress I feel bad for the dishwashers who have to wash all that ‘reusable serviceware!’ If anything, this shows us that Barack Obama means business… he doesn’t just talk the talk, he walks the walk.
Conversely, the RNC has placed no restrictions on the menus during the convention. The only request they’ve made is for shrimp and tenderloin type fare. This fits actually. Having unhealthy and environmentally unfriendly food now and not worrying who will have to suffer the future consequences. It kind of mirrors the Republican party platform – act now on impulse and deal with the fallout later!