Burger King’s new marketing campaign, “The Whopper Freakout” is, simply put, brilliant.

In this hidden camera style video, we get to see how people react when they are told the Whopper has been permanently discontinued, as well as how customers react when the bags they are given contain not Whoppers, but Big Mac’s or Wendy’s burgers.

I could further critique why this is such a funny, interesting and innovative marketing campaign, but instead I just urge you to watch the video and see for yourself….keep your eyes peeled for the 30-second and 60-second versions on TV.

1. mr whopper

Great commercial. Lighten up people and stop taking everything so seriously. God good no wonder the country is going to hell, its full of idiots !!!!!!!!!

2. Rich

The ads are certainly noticable and memorable, and do a nice job of promoting the Whopper, which is the goal, so I’ll give it a definite thumbs up.

On the other hand, the subtext of the spots seems to be ‘everything else on our menu sucks’….

3. Lenny

Hey Mr. Whopper, try telling that to the people on the commercial. “Get me a Whopper!” “I hate Wendy’s!” If it’s that big a deal, go somewhere else.

4. jonathan

just watching the whole skit on the official website makes me want a whopper and i dont even like BK

5. Noah

I agree that it is a great marketing campaign, but I started losing interest in Burger King when they brought back the italian chicken sandwich and then promptly took it away because it just “limited time only”…

I remember getting into arguments with the managers of various bks because I love that sandwich. I honestly could care less for the whopper…

In closing, I would have been one of the people that would’ve been happy to score a big mac instead of a whopper.

6. James

I believe it is the stupidest idea ever to conceive. Are you telling me that our society is infested with such slacked jaw hicks (as we can see in the commercials) that are soooo devoted to the whopper that they couldn’t eat a burger from another fast food joint? Ridiculous. And they’re not the same couch potatoes who watch 100 hours of television a week and not notice the “manager” is a friggin actor I’ve seen in other commercials?? Obviously, Burger King took the ten people who actually freaked out, and not the 5500 people who said, “Fuck it, I’ll go to Carl’s Jr.”

7. S72

Eick,
    Thanks for starting the dialogue on this one. I also work in PR and marketing and find all the reactions fascinating!
    Were the staff actors? I said yes from the first few seconds of the clips. Was the tape edited for best effect – of course!
    Let’s remember, this is entertainment! (my personal fav moment is when they offer the customer an autographed photo of the Whopper – hysterical) It’s a commercial, not a scientific study that hoped to prove the Whopper was the best burger on the face of the earth.
    Love it or hate it, we have a saying … any PR is good PR!

8. SilentMusic

I sure pity the employees who had to go through all that, as if they already don’t get dumped on enough, and for minimum wage.

9. Courtney

Everyone needs to chill out.
    This commercial, was, in my opinion, Genius. You can tell that the customers were in good humor about it after they were told it was a joke.. I mean, honestly, do you really think there are people lying at home with there knees drawn up to their chin rocking back in forth thinking “I…need…whopper…” No. They found out it was a joke and laughed. It was funny! Even if some of the employee’s were actors, they never said the employee’s were real.. they said the customers were. Not alot of people have an amazing acting ability. This commerical made me laugh and actually made me start wanting to go to burger king all the time instead of McDonalds or A&W Cause’ It makes me think they all have a good sense of humor and All in all, it was a brilliant marketing campaign… just the other day one of my friends said He had to go to burger king, (Which is a 30 minute drive from where he lives,) Just because he was craving a whopper for the commercial.
    Brilliant! Good job BK!